Sunday 22 January 2012

Comparing Alaska to Margo, Miles to Quentin.

From reading a third of "Paper Towns", a chapter of "The fault in our stars" and the entrity of "Looking for Alaska, I've noticed that John Green never fails to make the leading lady a strong character. I love that.

I'm a girl for traditions. Of instance, I'd never ask a guy out unless I knew he definitely liked me back and I'd definitely never ever ask somebody to marry me. So i suppose that's why I enjoy reading about strong female characters.

Let's take Alaska in "Looking For Alaska", Green portrays her as an absolute mystery. A beautiful mystery. Through the eyes of Miles, Green takes us on a journey of meeting the most enticing girl in the world. I think what makes her so "utterly fascinating" is the fact that she is screwed up. She may have a gorgeous boyfriend, belongs to a good school, fabulous friends and goals; but all of these sum up Alaska. And they really do make her who she is.

What I enjoyed about reading "Looking For Alaska", was the fact that we found out more and more about this ambiguous but dominant character. I love how Green portrays her as irrevocably lost, but so set on what she wants. Concluding how much I adore reading about these types of characters.

I felt the need to write about this as whilst reading "Paper Towns" this evening, I noticed Q, in the book, has the same visual and physical awareness of Miles in "Looking For Alaska". For instance, in Paper Towns, Q comments Margo "But her shoulder was against my arm, and the backs of our hands were touching, and although I was not looking at Margo, pressing myself against the glass felt almost like pressing myself against her."

We can compare this to how Miles sees Alaska, "I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together, in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane."

Just from this, we can see how beautifully Green writes. It also shows a massive connection between the two books. How both Miles and Q marvel over the influential girls in their life and how much physical contact with these girls means to them.

Anybody who hasn't read either "Looking for Alaska" or "Paper Towns" needs to immediately. John Green writes so amazingly.

Watch this space for a full "Paper Towns" review.

No comments:

Post a Comment